At Outwood Primary Academy, Kirkhamgate, we use Power Maths for the teaching of mathematics as it is an interconnected framework in which pupils are able to move fluently between mathematical ideas. As an academy, we merge and adopt the Singapore and Shanghai approach to maths through the use of high quality textbooks (Power Maths) and Same Day Intervention.
The textbooks, which run from Reception-Y6:
- Are accessible and introduce concepts in a highly scaffolded way, enabling all children to develop critical thinking skills, make mathematical connections and become confident mathematicians;
- Are built on a concrete – pictorial – abstract approach, ensuring secure foundations and deep understanding of mathematical concepts;
- Support an exciting growth mind-set and problem solving approach to help spark a curiosity and excitement for maths and equip children with deeper understanding.
- Are written specifically for UK curriculum classrooms by leading mastery experts from around the world and recommended by the UK’s Department for Education.
- Offer an enriched approach that cleverly combines interactive teaching tools, rich and quality textbooks and practice books.
- Are fully aligned to the National Curriculum and are recommended by the DFE.
We believe that same-day interventions are vital in order to keep the class progressing together. We ensure that: Intervention is focused on keeping up now, not catching up later, so interventions happen as soon as they are needed. We provide a timetable that allows for teachers to respond to the emerging needs of pupils immediately.